You are Here: Home / Coxlodge colliery village
Coxlodge colliery village
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1858. Coal was exploited in Coxlodge as early as 1741. A colliery was operating there in 1757. In 1801 the population of the associated village was 108 people. In 1809-10 Coxlodge Colliery (HER 4012 and 4013) was developed by Matthew Bell and Charles John Brandling and the village began to expand.The new buildings were built with stone and brick from the local quarry and brickworks. In 1831 the population was 965. The Coxlodge Hotel (HER 9968) was built in the 1860s. In 1861 a Roman Catholic Church and School was built. A new Methodist Chapel (HER 13782) was built in 1874 to replace an earlier one of 1817. The Board School was built in 1877. Miners cottages were built into the 20th century. A trade directory of 1878 lists five grocers, two market gardeners, a draper and a dairyman at Coxlodge. The population was 1538. The pits closed by 1900 and the men were transferred to other collieries. After World War One council housing was built to further expand the village. After World War Two many of the 19th century miner's cottages were replaced by more council housing.The pit heap was removed and the spoil used in the laying of the runways at Newcastle airport. Only a few rows of later cottages and the Coxlodge Hotel now survive.
Ordnance Survey First Edition Map 1858; Millie Walker, 1994, Bygone Fawdon & Coxlodge