You are Here: Home / Sunderland, Barracks
In response to the Napoleonic threat in the late 18th century, volunteer regiments were set up and barracks were constructed. In Sunderland men were housed in rented accomodation, but purpose-built barracks were constructed in 1794, close to the harbour. A hospital for 80 patients was also built a short distance to the south. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan shows a ball alley, hospital and magazine within the site of the barracks. In July 2002, to the rear of the Welcome Tavern, Barrack Road, dressed stone blocks and a section of an interior concrete floor retaining signs of former dividing walls were uncovered just centimetres below the modern surface. The Welcome Tavern is on the site of the barracks.
<< HER 2870 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8 J. Patterson, 1904, The Volunteer Movement in Sunderland, Antiquaries of Sunderland, Vol 5; J.R. Breihan, 1990, Army Barracks in the North East in the Era of the French Revolution, Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th Series, Vol 18, pp 165-76; A. Tedder, 1992, Sunderland East End, S. Miller and A. Brett, 1992, Colera in Sunderland; Lithograph circa 1850, Sunderland Museum and Art Gallery, TWCMS K8001; National Monuments Record UID 1073161, NMR NZ 55 NE 23; RCHME Hospitals Project 1991-1995 UID 1050602