You are Here: Home / North Shields, Carr's Pottery/Low Lights Pottery
North Shields, Carr's Pottery/Low Lights Pottery
Pottery Manufacturing Site
The Low Lights Pottery was established in 1814 by Nicholas Bird. In 1829 it passed to Cornfoot, Colville and Company (later Cornfoot, Patton and Company). When Cornfoot retired and John Carr became a partner, the name was changed to Carr and Patton, and then Carr and Company. When the business became the property of John Carr, he and his sons carried it on as John Carr and Sons. When Carr took over the business at North Shields, John Patton took over the Phoenix Pottery in the Ouseburn, Newcastle (HER REF. 5282). Carr made brown and black wares and ordinary wares. In 1856 these were discontinued and replaced by ordinary white earthenwares printed, lustred and painted. They were exported to the Mediterranean, Egypt and the Far East. Carr also made terracotta vases and articles for the building trade. The pottery was abandoned between 1890 and 1901 when the company concentrated on firebrick manufacture. The last directory entry for the firm at 44 Low Lights was in 1907-8.
<< HER 4588 >> E. Hollerton, 1997, The Archive Photography Series, North Shields, p 10 P.J. Davidson, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, pp 68-9 R.C. Bell, 1986, Maling and other Tyneside Pottery Tyne and Wear County Council, 1981, Maling - A Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell, 1971, Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell & M.A.V. Gill, 1973, The Potteries of Tyneside F. Buckley, 1929, Potteries on the Tyne and Other Northern Potteries during the C188, Archaeologia Aeliana, series 4, p68-82 D.K. Gray, 1985, Introduction to Maling S. Moore & C. Ross, 1989, Maling, The Trademark of Excellence J.T. Shaw, 1973, The Potteries of Wearside