Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Low Fell, Bellevue Bank, Church of St. Helen

Tyne and Wear HER(8250): Low Fell, Bellevue Bank, Church of St. Helen - Details

Back to Search Results


8250


Gateshead


Low Fell, Bellevue Bank, Church of St. Helen


Low Fell


NZ26SE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Parish Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Parish Church to new Parish formed out of St John's. 1876 by John Wardle. Built at a cost of £13,000, the gift of Edward Joicey of Whinney House, Durham Road (qv). Large, solid Early English style. Coursed, rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings. Graduated lakeland slate roof. Cruciform with short apsidal chancel having cross- gabled vestry, large transepts and south-west tower with stone broach spire; north- west balancing porch. Stepped buttresses, lancets single and grouped, tower doorway with mouldings and nook-shafts. Interior of snecked stone with ashlar dressings. Arch braced timber roof on carved corbels. Carved stone reredos, pulpit and font. Interesting glass: ,1. Chancel, 5 lancets, style of Morris & Co. Miracles. Transfiguration, ,Sermon on Mount. ,2. N & S transepts, evangelists and prophets, possibly Kempe. ,3. Nave, north side, Burne-Jones designs, saints. One window in south transept signed G J Baguley, Newcastle, 1902. Brass plate to Edward Joicey, the donor. LISTED GRADE 2*


2555


6031


NZ25556031



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 10/53; Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Saltwell Conservation Area, p 65; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 29

Back to Search Results