You are Here: Home / Benwell, Benwell Lane, The Mitre PH (Benwell Towers)
Date: post 1881
Description: A postcard of Benwell Towers, Benwell Lane, Benwell post 1881. The drawing shows a view of the east end of the building. The chapel can be seen to the right. Benwell Towers became the residence of the Anglican bishops of Newcastle in 1881. The first bishop Ernest Wilberforce added the chapel.
Additional info: Reprographic copy
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Buildings Collection
Accession number: NCL 068042
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Benwell, Benwell Lane, The Mitre PH (Benwell Towers)
House, later bishop's house and chapel, now public house. 1831 by John Dobson for Thomas Crawhall; chapel added 1887. Ashlar with plinth; rendered ashlar and coursed squared sandstone left wing; Welsh slate roof to chapel. Main house roof not visible, other roofs graduated Lakeland slate and Welsh slate. Main house: irregular plan, castle style. 2 high storeys, scattered fenestration. Projecting third bay contains double panelled door in Tudor arch. Windows of 2, 3 and 4 lights, some blind, with chamfered stone mullions and transoms and drip moulds. Battlemented parapet to roof with central turret. Left wing: 2 storeys, 8 bays and 3-bay house at left in plain style; sash windows and blind windows; hipped roofs. Former chapel at rear in Perpendicular style has 4 bays and linking bay with oriel window. Interior shows closed-string stair with barley-sugar balustrade, grip handrail and newels with pendants. Library has Jacobean-style panelling and ceiling. Panelled ceilings with Tudor bosses in other ground floor rooms; marble chimney pieces. Historical note: donated in 1881 by J.W. Pease, the Quaker banker, to the Diocese of Newcastle created in 1882. The previous building on the site, the home of the Shafto family; incorporated a tower house. Sources: W.H.Knowles "Benwell Tower, Newcastle" Archaeologia Aeliana series 2 vol. XIX, pp 88-98; W.S.F. Pickering (ed.) A Social History of the Diocese of Newcastle 1882-1982 1982, pp 47-49. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 11/94; N. Pevsner and I. Richmond, second edition revised by G. McCombie, P. Ryder and H. Welfare, 1992, The Buildings of England - Northumberland, page 515; W.H.Knowles "Benwell Tower, Newcastle" Archaeologia Aeliana series 2 vol. XIX, pp 88-98; W.S.F. Pickering (ed.) 1982, A Social History of the Diocese of Newcastle 1882-1982, pp 47-49; T. Faulkner and A. Greg, 1987, John Dobson Newcastle Architect 1787-1865; T. Quinn, 1990, Bygone Benwell; Archaeological Research Services, 2010, The Mitre, Benwell, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording